The Highwayman Inn
Home Bars History Virtual Tour Visitors Book
Accommodation Gallery Hauntings Further Information

Recommend Us


 
History
History   See our gallery for more

An original invite to the opening of one of the new rooms.

Original Invite To The Opening Of One of the New Bars

The building was originally built as an inn in 1282 and later became dual purpose as an inn and a farm making use of the 20 acres at the rear. New Inn. The sign can be seen above the entrance.
The New Inn. The sign is now on the left corner of the stable block. In the 17th century it was called the Golden Fleece. Plymouth Breweries later renamed it the New Inn to give it a more contemporary image.

The name 'New Inn' can just about be seen above the entrance (top right) and on the 'stable block' (left)

The original bar

Work has started, but there is much more on the way.

Rita and Buster Jones moved to Sourton on Michaelmas Day 1959 from South Wales.

It was Rita who christened the inn 'The Highwayman' because she had romantic notions of highwaymen dashing about in the mist on the moor.  (In fact there were three highwaymen who worked the area at various times, Fowley, Huggins and Creber.) 

Buster set work immediately on the inn; with only £1,000 net turnover a year and a bar area of only 9ft by 13ft there was plenty of room for improvement.  Locals thought he was completely mad in those days, now they bring their friends from further afield to see the inn which has become one of the areas most popular attractions. 

The coach is in place in it's original livery.

Such 'improvements' included the setting of the old Launceston to Tavistock coach as the entrance porch.

Left, the coach is in it's original colour of maroon/purple.

Mid 1960's. Rita loved those carts!

Note, for example, how the original apex roof became a dome above the coach, later to be replaced, once again, with an apex roof and the addition of two small seating areas either side of the coach.

Apex roof is now a dome.
Addition of seating areas either side of the coach and the new roof. The development of The Highwayman Inn was an organic process that continued throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's. 1970's the curiosity shop is added and the Locker Bar is open.

Using natural wood and stone from the area and a great deal of imagination and hard work the building soon took on a unique character of its own.

Some locals join Buster, Rita and Sally in a toast.

Sally has worked in the inn since a child and, at one time she, her mother and grandmother worked behind the bar together; her grandfather was responsible for the upholstery work in The Locker bar.

The Snug bar in the 1970's

  In 1998 Sally and her husband Bruce took over running the inn so that Sally's Father & Mother could enjoy a long, well-earned retirement.

They continue running the Highwayman in the same family tradition, with the commitment set by Buster and Rita.

By the 1980's The Grotto was created in the old fireplace.

 (Left) A Fireplace in The Snug Bar in an early incarnation.

 (Right) In a later incarnation, the fireplace is opened out into the Den or Grotto. The inhabitants came later.

The spinning wheel can still be seen in its original location.